• Regional Diploma Psychiatric Nursing Instructor, Stenberg College​

Years i​​n pra​​​ctice

22 years

Regulatory ​​​expe​​ri​​​e​​nce

• BCCNP Registration Committee 
  • Former member of Board of Directors, CRPNBC​

​Other gover​​​nance experi​e​n​​​ce​

• ​Board of Directors, Vancouver Island Crisis (line) Society

1. Why do y​​ou want to be a BCCNP Board Member?

I am a(n) RPN with 22 years experience and work primarily in 'crisis' intervention and teaching RPN students.  I bring a knowledge base and commitment to trauma-informed practice, patient-centered care, and harm reduction philosophy, with a special emphasis on the LGBTQ2S and First Nations/Aboriginal communities.  I have had the pleasure of being on the Board of Directors for CRPNBC during their 'merge' in to One Nursing Regulator (BCCNP).  I have always thought nurses, perhaps unique to their profession, bring a combination of competence, confidence, and compassion to their job.  I'm grateful to be in both education and front-line nursing and still enjoy the challenge, learning, and sense of 'belonging' and accomplishment our jobs give us.

2. How do you embody the values identified in the Board Composition Matrix in your work and personal life?​​​

I am a(n) RPN with 22 years experience and work primarily in 'crisis' intervention mental health nursing and teaching RPN students.  I have been a Nurse Educator, Team Leader, and College Instructor.  Thus I have worked on development and implementation of quality improvement initiatives, accreditation, education including violence prevention, and more 'cutting edge' issues in nursing.  I have always attempted to be honest, accountable, and uphold our profession to a high degree of integrity.  In as much as any human being can be 'objective,' I have reflected on my practice to be aware of this value and goal.  I believe, above all in trust and respect in the workplace.  I try to have a sometimes self-deprecating sense of humour and humility, bearing in mind some of our best learning experiences sometimes come from our mistakes.  I'm excited and love nursing especially my specialty, psychiatric nursing.

3. Please explain why you feel you can make a valuable contribution to the BCCNP Board in light of the gaps id​entified in the 2020 Board Gap Assessment and the current context in which BCCNP is operating.  What specific experiences, skills, and perspectives do you bring that will enhance the current board?​

​​​I have experience in board and committee meetings, developing board culture, and fostering board effectiveness. My experience in change management and transformation comes from being on the Board of the CRPNBC as we merged in to one nursing regulator.  During that time we were involved in executive performance management, succession planning and executive compensation.  We met with government officials up to and including the Deputy Minister to further our understanding of how government works and how ONR would affect change for the nursing colleges.  My experience in public engagement is primarily from community forums as a Nurse Educator.  My knowledge of Northern BC would only be if there were similar situations in remote Vancouver Island communities and I would then have some experience and knowledge of health care delivery issues.  As a Board Member at CRPNBC we discussed and dealt with risk oversight programs. Financial oversight would not be one of my strengths but rather an area for improvement.