​​Residenc​​​​​e

Port Moody, B.C.

Current e​​mp​loyment

Director of Nurse Practitioner Program, Fraser Health Authority

Years i​​n pra​​​ctice

18 years

Regulatory ​​​expe​​ri​​​e​​nce

​Other gover​​​nance experi​e​n​​​ce​

• ​Director of Officials - BC Summer Swimming Association for Port Moody Aquarium (Current appointment)

Candidate statement​​​

1. Why do y​​ou want to be a BCCNP Board Member?

I believe that it is important to have representation on the BCCNP Board by individuals who are both clinicians and work in health sector leadership roles. As a Director of NPs in BC's largest Health Authority, I have been actively involved in the strategic planning and integration of NPs across practice areas including primary care, acute care, specialty and MHSU.  Working closely with my NP leadership colleagues and the BCCNP, we have successfully and appropriately removed barriers to practice for NPs, resulting in more comprehensive care options for BC patients. Within FHA I have worked to implement quality processes to ensure safe and effective care is provided by our team. Through my role as a BCCNP board member I will be able to bring a clinical and leadership perspective, share my knowledge of the NP profession and learn from my colleagues on the board. I anticipate that through this work I will develop an enhanced understanding of nursing regulation in BC and ways we can continue to work together to advance the nursing profession to benefit BC patients.

2. How do you embody the values identified in the Board Composition Matrix in your work and personal life?​​​

As an NP Director I am required to bring the above values to my work daily. A focus on quality patient care is demonstrated through the development of a quality committee within the Department of NPs, which includes supporting mandatory peer audits, and QI audits for our NPs yearly. Within the leadership team I seek feedback and hold "challenge" meetings, where I invite my team to bring innovative ideas to the table, or to challenge a previously held idea. The purpose is to ensure space and time for members of the team to feel empowered and to recognize that it is important we remain open to new ideas. Additionally, in my role I have difficult conversations involving performance management and clinical situations regularly. To guide my work I approach all that I do with a lens of accountability, transparency and integrity. And while my focus is on health leadership, I have continued to practice clinically. One day per week I am privileged to work at Kwikwetlem First Nations, providing primary care as part of the Aboriginal Health team. I find providing direct patient care helps to keep me orientated to the larger "why" I do the work I do.

3. Please explain why you feel you can make a valuable contribution to the BCCNP Board in light of the gaps id​entified in the 2020 Board Gap Assessment and the current context in which BCCNP is operating.  What specific experiences, skills, and perspectives do you bring that will enhance the current board?​

My day-to-day work is as a health sector leader. I am able to contribute a strong systems perspective from my work as a Director in FHA, as well as from my clinical experience and experience in nursing education/ scholarship. My work and scholarship experiences have allowed me to develop an understanding of information linkages within systems transformation, scholarship and regulation. Through my doctoral studies I received a CIHR/CHSRF chair position in an Advanced Practice Nursing under the leadership of Dr. Alba Dicenso (McMaster University). As part of this position, I was required to spend 6 months working part-time at the MoH in BC on a project to advance NP perspectives or understanding While I do not see myself as an expert on ministry processes, through this partnership I had the opportunity to develop a stronger understanding of how the BC government works and the processes of change within the government. Lastly, while the NP profession is not a "new" profession, it has had relatively slow uptake across BC--but this is changing rapidly. I will be able to contribute strong knowledge of change management and the need for health sector leaders to support healthcare providers through times of change.​